This indulgent recipe was inspired by another gorgeous print from luxury lifestyle brand, Marimekko, with ruby red and pastel pink blooms on a backdrop of emerald green provoking a sense of celebration and springtime.
Infused with freeze-dried strawberries, soaked in basil syrup and lavishly topped with mascarpone frosting and fresh juicy strawberries, this cake heroes the abundance of fresh berries and herbs that herald the delight of warmer weather.Print
Strawberry & Basil Syrup Cake
A delightful cake infused with freeze-dried strawberries, soaked in basil syrup and lavishly topped with mascarpone frosting and fresh juicy strawberries.
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 150g almond meal
- 100g semolina
- 10g freeze-dried strawberry powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 375g strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced, to serve
- 30g toasted slivered almonds, to serve
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons (approx. 125ml juice)
- 150g caster sugar
- Medium bunch fresh basil leaves, washed (20g)
- 125g mascarpone
- 150ml double thick cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to (165°C/145°C fan-forced) and lightly grease or cake tin or line with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon zest in stand mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one while beating on medium speed, scraping the bowl between each egg to ensure ingredients are well combined.
- Combine almond meal, semolina, strawberry powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, then slowly add half the dry ingredients to the mixer while beating on low-medium speed.
- Continue beating while adding half the lemon juice, then remaining dry ingredients, then remaining juice, until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, ensuring a smooth, even surface.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Prick the surface of the cake with a skewer or cake tester with at least 12-15 holes, then spoon over with basil syrup, allowing the syrup to absorb into the warm cake. Allow to cool completely in pan.
- Place sugar and juice in a small saucepan on medium heat and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon.
- Place basil leaves and zest in a food processer and blitz to a paste while pouring the syrup into the processor to achieve a deep green basil syrup.
- Gently whisk together mascarpone, cream and icing sugar by hand. Take great care not to over-whisk as the frosting can easily split.
- Place cake on serving platter and spread with mascarpone frosting.
- Decorate with fresh strawberry slices and toasted slivered almonds.
Makes one round 17.5cm (7”) cake and serves 8-10 people