These raspberry and dark chocolate cupcakes were inspired by Australia’s delightful autumn crop of raspberries. This simple recipe yields only a small batch of cupcakes and requires mostly pantry staples, making it ideal when baking in isolation during these difficult times. The rich chocolate cake and frosting complement the tart fresh raspberries perfectly, and will certainly be a treat the whole family can enjoy baking and eating together.Print
Raspberry & Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
These indulgent dark chocolate cupcakes are smothered in velvety dark chocolate frosting and complemented by tart fresh raspberries.
80g unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
50g good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
150g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
¼ tsp fine sea salt
85ml (1/3 cup) water
85g plain flour, sifted
¼ tsp baking powder
5g (1 tbsp) good-quality cocoa powder
1 large egg, at room temperature
150g fresh raspberries
100g unsalted butter, softened & coarsely chopped
170g icing sugar, sifted, plus extra to decorate
30g cocoa, sifted
1-2 tbsp milk
Pinch of fine sea salt
1) Preheat oven to 165°C (145°C fan-forced) and line a standard cupcake tin with 5 paper cupcake cases.
2) Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, vanilla paste and salt in a medium saucepan, stirring over low heat until combined, then add water and stir until smooth.
3) Transfer mixture to medium bowl and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
4) In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and cocoa, then gently whisk the dry ingredients, then egg, into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
5) Divide equally between cupcake cases, then place 3-4 raspberries in each cupcake case, reserving 15 raspberries for decorating the cupcakes later.
6) Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin before removing cupcakes and cooling completely on a wire rack.
1) Beat butter, sugar, cocoa and salt in free-standing mixer with paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
2) If frosting is quite thick and firm, gradually add milk while beating, until velvety soft, light and fluffy.
3) Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle.
1) Place cupcakes on a serving plate and pipe chocolate frosting onto each cupcake in a large dome.
2) Scoop out a small spoonful of frosting from each dome to create a well, then decorate each cupcake with raspberries.
3) Dust with sifted icing sugar to serve.
Makes 5 standard cupcakes